Thursday 1 May 2014

Onward, then

So I felt like writing something today and decided to set myself a task. Since I had to take a trip, I decided that today's prompt is to write about a journey.


Not to Schedule


I rode a train today, to a newly-old life
of course in the tedious, required rain

I thought of all the old stations we visit
hard-to-get-to and with limited service
exits not marked, no shelter from the elements
tracks leading nowhere or going in circles.

It got me thinking about a journey
I'd been plotting in my mind's map
which I think got cancelled due
to a creeping frost on the lines.

It made me think of you thinking
of a stranger on a train and wondered
if you'd prefer him to remain strange
and perfect. Well, too late I guess.

I never kept any skeletons, I told you
so you can't pretend you didn't know
I might come off the rails or forget
to apply the brake at the bend.

Now we're not running to timetable
and who knows when normal service will resume.

Why can't we ditch this obsolete transport
go to a place no planned route takes you
ride our bikes to a quiet, steep-ish hill,
lift our feet off the pedals and let go...

Well, I know. Get to the station first.
But one day, when the weather's nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...