Saturday 8 April 2023

Cod Beck Reservoir

 

Day Eight





Wilderness is an exile
from this procedural wood.
The trees, ranked in line,
muster by the unwrinkled lake
beside a lawn which has been cut
in secret, with scissors. 

The closest to God I've ever been was rolling
beside a church, in the grass with a girl
with the sun on her tongue.
She deliberately kissed me under 
the peep-eye of a steeple.
Barefoot to the soundtrack buzz of dragonflies.
I think she threw me upwards, 
way beyond the belfry,
where bells don't dare intrude
though I felt a sort of reverb in
the transept of my bright heart
'til I fell. Fell so gladly.
Falling tender, like the sunlight.

This boy ought to be tattooed
with the sober scent of his own black earth.
He's fixed on baggy jeans and rollies.
He'll know too late that any kind of height
can only be achieved
in the valley of his own yielding heart.
You can't pilot dragonflies
from a mowed lawn.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...