Sunday 30 April 2023

Paint Poem

 

Day Thirty






I like a poem because it's not like a painting.
Because I'll confidently cradle something
stainless; hold the exceptional eye of it,
which is sarsen grey. It's accurate masonry.

A poem is trapezoidal.
It will sit on the ground, you can walk
around, point prosodic
right at the solidity of the stanza.
The straight line in a meter, go -
run your thumb assuredly
all along the perfect surface;
Any line with a defect
lies forgotten in the quarry.

That's why I like a poem. At least
in theory, shaped pure and
fine-finished as a citadel.
But I wonder if Machu Picchu thinks
- or even knows - about the faults
in her foundation. She's sitting up there
on the nerve of a natural defect,
and she don't give a damn.

So I did some painting, to be like the Inca.
To be painted, myself, whimsical-like.
And the acrylics were so alien, they
were such a clamour of colour, they
were howling! All striving -
Idiots! - mucking and muddling
and setting themselves too previous.
I almost kicked over the easel.

But, like the Inca, I learned
a bit about building. About drainage.
I began to see the sky bloom purple,
fruit ripening in stone,
an uncertainty of green in the grass.
I built something new, and I found 
I did not so much mind the cracks. 
 
Okay, it's a little skew whiff.
My brush, he forgets the meter;  
only knows a ruffled rhythm 
of colour, that might?
breathe life to a sarsen stone.
Even, perhaps, in purple tones,
refute the sky and its blueness.
So step back, squint your eyes;
It looks just like a poem.



5 comments:

  1. I like the slightly skew-whiff feel of this, like your not quite right colours, the stones about to tumble, the lines of the poem that maybe won't scan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was trying to riff a bit on my uncertain style, starting sterile and then adding some chaos and ending with a bit of freedom. I think I sort of got it... maybe? Heh.

      Delete
  2. You did, but I got caution rather than uncertainty in the beginning, measuring, getting the perspective right. You need to know the rules before you can break them. My motto and I'm sticking to it. Btw I'm Jane Dougherty, not anonymous, Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, caution is a better way to put it. Appreciate the feedback, Jane :)

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    I decided to make four centos out of our final Day 30 lines. I used all last 96 poems written in April as linked to the official NaPoWriMo site. Today I posted the last of the four centos, the one with your lines. Please read it here:

    https://manjameximexcessive6.wordpress.com/2023/05/27/four-april-centos-no-4/

    Thank you kindly for your words. They make for a nice finish to all my four centos.

    Be well,
    Manja

    ReplyDelete

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...