Saturday 10 April 2021

Once Upon a Pinnacle


Day 10


 

I knew a gypsy girl who was jealous of the sky

She was strung to a balloon but tethered to the earth

And always aching from the wrench of it


She impressed on me a great many marvels, though

The stars held little sway in the bell of my heart

I'd nod and wonder at the chalky tremor of her


I became as a bowerbird, gathering eagerly

All the spectrum of my meagre talent, installing

Small, bright assortments at her feet


I wonder if she knew the way I clawed red

At pocketknife attachments, thinking one might

Pierce the skin of her - or my - disorder


What became of my stargazer? Did she achieve

A celestial ascension, resonating

Ultraviolet, on a plane not known to me?


Or did she brook a blue plummet, resigned

To the earth in all its mundanity

With the moon just a moth-bit bulb


I knew a gypsy girl, plump and purple

Like the juicy bruise of a cloud

Where I was but a shadow cast upon the ground




I was listening to Gypsy by Suzanne Vega

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...