Saturday 5 April 2014

A Golden Shovel

The task today is to write a Golden Shovel, which means using the words of another poem to end each of the lines in your own poem. That is to say, if you put together the last words of each line, it makes a poem in its own right.

Since I haven't read much poetry, I've borrowed a more accomplished poet's lune from yesterday's prompt. I thought this was a pretty good challenge. I don't know if the poem's any good, but I'm learning new things...



Just a Thought


At last
that dreadful shadow lifts with night's
passing. Dawn reveals only the brightest of stars

It's an aeon since they began to burst
but by their ancient light I see clearly (and with
no small measure of alarm)
that the past can appear to us fresh

Press a plaster gently on that graze
and for good measure, lay a kiss on
How could I ever have ignored my
ridiculous heart



Please leave a comment if you have any thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. awesomeness. and obviously this poet you've plagiarised must be awesome too.

    ReplyDelete

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...