Tuesday 1 April 2014

Symbols

Today's prompt is to write something inspired by a random quote, and this is what I got:


From the oracle:

If you want to be touched, say, Touch me.
If you want to be held, say, Hold me.

from “The Antelope As Document” by Yona Harvey




Symbols


Inadequate words. on. a. screen.
Meaningless
                 symbols
                             falling
                                       short
like reports on a distant war.


No sign for a sigh or a sparkle.
No glyph for that look I'd like to give.
Emptiness ________ for fingertips on a kneecap
Just a wish for alcohol in the blood.

Jealousy is eight letters and desire only six
I counted.

That smiling face doesn't blink or have crows feet
and what use is an X to you or I?
That's hardly my hands, hot on your body
Scant substitute for a playful tongue
How to say: I press my face frantically against yours!
like they do in old movies
with shining eyes and lips a-tremble.

Oh, for some passion-filled exclamation
or post-coital tristesse in the footnote.
A uniform script stops my heart from thumping, pressing
desperately against my ribcage
and a full-stop implies an ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...