Sunday 20 April 2014

The Family Business

I thought today's suggestion, to write a piece in the voice of a family member, would be extremely difficult. Once I started, it came very easily. I don't know how it reads out of context but personally, I like this one.



Death's Rebuke


You won't take me yet you daft bugger.
Just because I'm in bed doesn't mean
I'm not busy. Your pallid hand doesn't
outshine the twinkle in my eye, nor
does your surety outdo my imagination.

I've got things to do. Dreams to relive.
Adventures of the mind, roaming the
extraordinary halls of my celebrated youth
and the enchanting gardens of my autumn.
These withered limbs once were strong.

Have I told you the one about the talking dog?
or my time amongst the desert people?
My trinkets come from all the corners
of this wonderful world. My whimsy is all
the colours of the spectrum and beyond.

When I pass on, so will the trinkets.
And the twinkle. And the whimsy.
I will divide myself and surpass
the sum of my elements. You can't stop
my eternal existence; I won't have it.

So you sit there on my chest and
listen to me rattle. You'll have to wait.
I know my place, my family. And I'll still
bamboozle them after my time's come.
Even you can't end me. Not really.



Komentarze są mile widziane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...