Sunday 13 April 2014

An Adventurer's Tale

Today's mission (and I chose to accept it) was to write a poem with at least one kenning. I've taken the viking theme and run with it (and really gone to town on the kennings).



The Life-Saga


It is lonely writing the life-saga
with my heart-thief so far away.
I am returned from forlorn pursuit
and now no astral canopy can guide me.

What fate am I worthy of?
The gods have left me a seeker of passion
and I must read my own sunstone,
though the perils are many.

I shall be the moon-catcher.
I will put my hands to the oar
and steer the fate-ship to my only star.
No sea or mountain range can stop me now.

I will be the Muse of Artists.
Hill-Trampler and Wave-Swallower,
Shedder of Burdens and Prince of the Rock
I will be the Path-Finder.

Song-weavers will tell of my quest - 
sing of the clashing of hearts,
the beating and breaking of shields.
I will discover the prize of my ardour.

For my heart-thief, under this dark canopy.
And I will lay her down,
bestill her uncertain colours
and sow her a field of contentment.



Croesewir sylwadau


3 comments:

  1. This poem is great! I had so much trouble writing this poem (perhaps because it was so late at night!), but this poem is beautifully penned and enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I was pleased with this one, and somehow it came quite easily. I need more Viking-style prompts I think...

    ReplyDelete

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...