Tuesday 29 April 2014

Putting a shift in

Today's prompt was a lengthy and complicated process, with a set of instructions to follow. The end result could probably do with some major editing and tweaking, but I'm 
reasonably happy. I think it could be alright with a bit of work but here it is, warts-and-all:


Au revoir


A handful of glances becomes an uncomfortable stare
and he is so sorry, he begs your pardon 
but he cannot take his eyes off the girl in the clouds
for fear she might fuse into the atmosphere
He has seen loss and it looks like a hole in the dirt
hard to exhume and harder to fill with a broken back.

When you come down, I will never feel or love again.
and it will surely please you when I bite my pillow
every night. We will each ask no questions and tell no lies.
It can't be a coincidence it rained the day you left me. Well,
maybe it didn't rain but the sky seemed low and saturated
with the muggy, liquid sunshine of regret.

Every morning that bird shrugs at me through circled glass
mumbling don't look at me, I've no idea either
and when you waved goodbye, I might have said well,
I go to the foot of my grandfather's stairs 
because I think it was the right moment, but
in the event I said nothing and you said nothing.

I forgot to tell you about the time years ago when
I heard that awful woman shriek carpe diem! at a child
in Matalan of all places, and only you would understand
quite how strange that was. Too late to wish you were there.
The words falling from your mouth tasted bitter and sickly
because they had the shameful, piercing ring of truth

and if I felt your fingers it was only the touch of madness
that fogs things up and makes me reel like a thoughtless child
plummeting, head-first, to the wrong conclusion.
and if I prostrate myself, or become Brutus it is only because
I see you deified by children, adventuring souls whom
I might be moved to love and never speak of it

and if I said I breathed-in the pages of my old book
to detect a trace of you, would you take me literally
or simply understand that I miss you, that's all.
If your sadness is a grey, troubled pond in a squall
then I am the pitiful fish caught in its undercurrent
You can only do so much laissez-faire thinking.

I am utterly convinced that you are probably not
several different people with different voices and
thoughts and feelings, working irregular shift patterns
but if I called you a doyle you wouldn't understand anyway.
I am a parasite, sucking scanty joy from your veins
and wondering why I'm starving and you are lifeless.

After a once upon there was a long emptiness
because she left me in no man's land, a sort-of
lonely buffer zone with checkpoints and guardposts
and I didn't even realise 'til you knocked the wall down
so I will soak up the inevitable deluge and wait
until your thoughts break through the clouds again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...