Monday 28 April 2014

Read all about it

Monday's challenge was to write something using words from a news article. I liked this prompt.



one of the biggest secrets in the world



and so love, once a brightly coloured thing
becomes a thoroughly scrambled puzzle
with the power to beguile and frustrate
everywhere, in all its permutations.

and like a puzzle, it is eminently
throwable for those who lose patience
and devilishly difficult to return
to its original, ordered state.

the clock starts. it's quite hard
to leave the house blindfolded.
this pleasing feel in the hand has
a distinctive rattle as the pieces turn.

and instead of truly grasping it
or kicking the compulsive habit
I keep turning it mindlessly
whenever I have a spare moment.

it has driven me mad over the years
tirelessly trying to solve the riddle
but as an object it has a powerful charm
and I like having something to do with my hands.

with this particular teaser, it's obvious
that it moves better than the others
for all the strain and sleepless nights
its difficulty is part of the attraction

I like the fact it's almost a mystery
and when I click that last bit into place
and each face is a solid, indelible colour,
I might conquer my personal Everest.

a challenge that must be overcome
it's impossible.
it's my favourite.



I used this article about people who love their Rubik's Cube and a related article about a man who took 26 years to solve it. What a waste of time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...